Monday, July 09, 2007

Choosing what to make next is always exiting but also hard... There are so many things I really want to make, and then there are the obligated Christmas presents that I am hopping to be able to give this next Christmas. So, I need to squize them here and there... I also have a basket of UFO. That is were the Marlene bag has lived for the last couple of months. I try to finish a UFO in between each project which is kind of nice because they go fast since they are already half way through.

How many projects at the time ??? I noticed that it is hard for me to get much done when I have more than 2 projects on the needles. I feel like I am not finishing anything and my basket gets full of UFO's, so what I am trying to do is to have a big project (like a sweater) at home and a pair of socks that I can take anywhere (portable project).

This priority rules seem to be working since after the bag there is only 2 more UFO's in the basket.

What is also really hard is to choose what to make next. My stash is overflowing with projects waiting to be made. Some I already know what pattern goes with what yarn. Others, I don't. I spend 2 days making an inventory of my stash because I couldn't seem to be able to find anything is such a big mess. I like the spreadsheet that I came up with because it tells me what yarns do I have, how many balls, gauge and most importantly "LOCATION". I numbered the boxes where I stored the yarn so the location in my spreadsheet just indicates the number of the box. It's awesome! It did take quite a long time and I am not done yet. I still have more yarn in two drawers and under the bed... but so far I have calculated the MRSP of my stash in $2,500. WOW!!!! Don't tell my husband please!!! Of course I build up my stash by buying bargain prices. I hardly ever pay the MRSP, specially since the yarn I buy is all brand name "snob" yarn. The more commercial yarn I usually like to buy is Patons Wool due to its outstanding quality and yardage. Besides that, I only get a few novelty yarns at Michael's sometimes when I need to embellish a project.

With a stash like this is hard to find excuses to buy more yarn, but it is possible; for example, I might not have the color that I want in the gauge that I want, or I might not have enough skeins in the color I want. I do try my best to use what I have.

And patterns? There is always room in my bookshelf for a new book or magazine. I collect Knitter's, Interweave and Vogue Knitting magazines. I also like Rowan (of course) and Debbie Bliss Patterns. The books I always wait to see them inside before buying them and again, I do my best to get them for a discounted price.

I always wander if other knitters go through the same issues and what are their preferences as far as choosing new projects. I would love to hear how you handle your addiction... LOL!

Escoger el siguiente proyecto siempre es emocionante pero a veces puede ser dificil porque hay tantas cosas que quiero hacer. Están los regalitos de navidad que cada año trato de hacer y nunca me da tiempo. Así que tengo que empezar desde ahora haber si acaso doy a basto. También tengo una canasta con proyectos a medio palo que lo que trato es de terminar uno entre cada nuevo proyecto. Ahí es donde está la cartera "Marlene" que es un diseño original en el que estoy trabajando desde hace un par de meses.

Cuántos proyectos a la vez? A veces cuando me emociono empiezo varios proyectos y termino con un montón de proyectos sin terminar en la canasta. He notado que si hago esto siento que no avanzo y que nunca termino nada y es muy desmotivante. Así que decidí que solo voy a concentrarme en dos proyectos a la vez. Uno grande como un sueter y uno portátil como un par de medias. También he estado terminando un poryecto de la canasta sin terminar entre cada nuevo proyeto. Estas prioridad me estan funcionando porque ya solo me quedan 2 proyectos a medio terminar en la canasta.

Lo que también se me complica es escoger cuando termino algo. Mi guaca de lana está desbordada de proyectos esperando ser tejidos. Algunos ya tengo el diseño otros no. Me pasé dos días enteros organizando mi lana y contabilizando lo que tenía en una hoja de Excel. En esta hoja tengo toda la informacion de la lana, cantidad, color, medida, y sobre todo ubicación. Esto es un número que le puse afuera a las cajas donde guardo la lana de manera que si ando buscando una lana en particular ya se en cuál caja encontrarla. Todavía no he terminado me falta la lana que tengo debajo de la cama y en unas gabetas pero hasta ahorita calculo un valor sugerido de mercado de más de $2.500. Wow! Que barbaridad si mi marido se entera me mata! Logicamente yo no compro a esos precios, sino que voy acumulando lana que compro de liquidación a precios mucho menores y aprovecho las oportunidades. Casi nunca pago el precio oficial porque las lanas que me gustan son caras. Ya me he vuelto muy delicada y solo me gusta el material de muy alta calidad... Qué vaina!

Con una guaca como esa es dificil encontrar excusas para comprar mas lana pero no es imposible. Por ejemplo, puedo querer hacer algo pero en otro color del que tengo, o puede ser que la lana que tengo no me de la medida que necesito, etc. Con todo estoy tratando al máximo de gastar lo que ya tengo. También siempre hay espacio para una nueva revista o libro. Me gusta coleccionar las revistas de Knitters, Interweave Knits y Vogue Knitting. Los libros siempre los veo en la biblioteca o en Borders antes de comprarlos y si los quiero también me espero hasta que se pongan un poco mas baratos.

Siempre me pregunto si otras personas que tejen hacen lo mismo que yo y como manejan su adicción de tejer... Porque más que un hobbie yo se que para muchas de nosotrás es una adicción.
JA JA

No comments: