Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tricky finishing issues...

I finally sat down to finish the top. Finishing is always something I unconsciously avoid. The only way I get exited about is by thinking about been able to wear my project. So I use that motivation to force myself to do it. In this case, I was running away of that longer strap in the schematics. The instructions say to use the extra strap fabric to build an edge for the back but it does not explain how. Am I supposed to fold the strap and sew the rest on to the back? I tried that but the folded area was too bulky and it did feel good. So, after thinking about it I decided to frog the strap to make it just the same size as the other and then, pick up a few stitches from the side of the strap to create the back edge. This worked OK although the fabric in that area is loose and it has a tendency to fold over which should be corrected once I block the piece. The problem is I don't want to block it. I love the stretchiness of the fabric and it would go away if I block. So must likely, it is going to stay that way. Here is a picture of the Vogue top back and front. If you click on the picture you can enlarge it to see the back edge. It was knitted horizontally rather than vertically, from strap to strap and then sewn in place. In general, I am very pleased with my top. It is perfect for the summer and the near to come over 100 degree wheater.

Por fin me senté a terminar la blusita de Vogue Knitting. Siempre le huyo al acabado porque no me gusta coser y aunque no lo parezca es bastante trabajo. Así que trato de emocionarme pensando poder ponerme lo que estoy haciendo para inspirarme a terminarlo. En este caso, lo pensé aún más porque la parte de atrás estaba un poco difícil. El gráfico muestra un tirante más largo que el otro. Se supone que uno tiene que doblar ese exceso del tirante para fomar la orilla de la parte de atrás de la blusa. Sin embargo, cuando hice esto se me hizo una pelota horrible en esa parte y no me gustó, así que deshice el exceso del tirante para que fuera igual al otro y tejí una tira aparte para pegarla en la espalda (de tirante a tirante). Quedó bastante bien, aunque la orilla esa tiende a habrise hacia el frente. Eso seguro se le quita con un poquito de plancha. Esta blusa no la pienso bloquear porque sino perdería la elasticidad que tiene la tela y eso me encanta. Lo que sí voy a hacer es aplanchar un poquito esa parte de la espalda para que no se vuelva hacia el frente. En general estoy feliz con mi nueva blusita y es perfeta para el calor que pronto será aquí de 107 grados.

No comments: